Sunday, December 5, 2010

Shelves of Mystery

Packing to move is a daunting prospect--if for no other reason than one is confronted with your past, or your parents, or your grandparents. Case in point, this little item is from the Abbey of Glastonbury. I found their website easily enough and I even searched their gift shop thinking I would find some similar small trinket for tourists...but no. So, I took a picture and emailed the current Gift Shop Manager and asked if recognizes it. Mind you, I have no idea how it came to be on our shelves--but it was always there, and so when my dad sold off the house after my mother died it was one of the things that went in my box. A small item of comfort. I remembered playing with it --and several other things I am now in the process of selling or giving away. When it comes to mementos comfort sometimes wears off and you are only left with a burden.

2 comments:

Alexandra MacVean said...

Ohhh, I do know what you mean by some momentos becoming a burden. Ugh. =/

Sorry it's been so long since I've visited. Lost you out here somehow. :(

Hugs!!

sandy said...

I've felt that way in the past. The item doesn't comfort but there is some nagging bit of guilt there about getting rid of something that provided, or admitting to yourself that it doesn't provide the connection any longer. I found it to be a complicated process that I dealt with by basically throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

They're just things and the important 'thing' here is to be kind and gentle with yourself.

xoxo
snady

Comments must be in English to be published.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails