Thursday, July 9, 2009

Yoga and Fresh Fruit


ripe plums are falling
now there are only five
may a fine lover come for me
while there is still time

ripe plums are falling
now there are only three
may a fine lover come for me
while there is still time

ripe plums are falling
i gather them in a shallow basket
may a fine lover come for me
tell me his name

Chinese Book of Songs
Okay, so the picture above is of one of those strange squished peaches that taste like heaven, but it is the only ripe fruit picture I have at the moment. I first heard this poem in college, then later like many folks I heard it again in the movie "Crossing Delancey," and most recently I opened a book by one of my favorite mystery writers, Laura Lippman (lover her Tess Monaghan character,) and there was this poem staring at me, again. That was several days ago and I haven't been able to get it out of my head--and I haven't started the book so the longer I go the more I wonder what it could have to do with the plot? If anything?
What am I reading that keeps me from wandering around with Tess? I am reading Breakfast with Buddha by Roland Merullo and it is simply one of the more unusual of road trip books you are likely to find--books of people on a journey are among my favorites. This gist is this: the main character's sister, an offbeat type of person, tricks him into driving her guru (yes, large bald man in maroon robe) a fair way across the country and to their childhood home. The rest you can read for yourself or read more on Powell.com, Barnes & Noble, or Borders. But I will say there is some yoga involved and a lot of food.
I will be headed up to a mountain retreat for a week here soon. Taking a few books to read, my journal, shorts and warm sweaters. Always trying not to over pack and to out-think myself and future moods as I let down and eat healthier food, walk everyday and breathe the kind of air we just don't get around here anymore. It is a week of simplifying and release. Ahhhhh.

1 comment:

Alexandra MacVean said...

LOVED that little rhyme!! :)

Comments must be in English to be published.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails